Dave Schaeffer on leadership and operations at Cogent Communications | Network AF Episode 12
In this episode of Network AF, the network engineering podcast: Dave Schaeffer, founder and CEO of Cogent Communications, discusses his path in networking and the innovations that have propelled their ISP to success. In this episode Avi and Dave touch on:
- The differences between developing a product and a business
- Focusing on the product and knowing when to pivot to new ideas
- Raising investor money and the dynamics it creates
- The decreasing costs of internet service and Cogent's role in creating affordable access
- How COVID-19 has impacted culture and operations at Cogent
- Hiring practices when looking for early career vs senior employees
- Dave's advice to his younger self
A quick program note: This episode was recorded on-site at Cogent and is primarily audio-only.
About Network AF
The Network AF podcast is a journey of super-nerd proportions into the world of networking, cloud, and the internet. Avi Freedman, self-described internet plumber and podcast namesake, hosts top network engineering experts from around the world for in-depth, honest, and freewheeling banter on all-things-network — how-tos, best practices, biggest mistakes, war stories, hot takes, rants, and more.
Listen and subscribe on: