Introduction to Kubernetes
From Raspberry Pis to satellites in space, Kubernetes continues to be the lifeblood of the cloud-native landscape and is a fast-moving train increasing in both popularity and demand, among businesses and developers. As a result, K8s has experienced rapid adoption and progressive development as an ecosystem. But what exactly is Kubernetes and why is it so popular? Even more, what are the necessary basics for someone to get started with K8s?
This short hands-on course is designed to answer these questions and more by exploring the following topics:
1) Why Kubernetes?
2) What is Kubernetes?
3) The K8s Architecture
4) Creating a Kubernetes cluster with K3D
5) Kubernetes Main Resources/Objects (Pods, Deployments, Services, Ingresses, ConfigMaps & Secrets)
6) Kubernetes Resource/Object Management with kubectl
7) Deploying a basic application to the K3D cluster
By the end of this session, you will have learned the following:
- What K8s is and why it's a necessary tool in the cloud native space
- What the K8s architecture is comprised of
- What the main K8s resources are and how to manage them
- How to setup a Kubernetes cluster with RKE
- How to deploy an application to your Kubernetes cluster
Please clone this repository with a walk-through on how to provision a local Kubernetes cluster:
Your instructor Luke Mwila, Senior Technical Evangelist in the SUSE & Rancher Community, will lead the session.