DORA Metrics: What are they good for? @Sleuth TV
You’ve learned about the history of DORA metrics and some of the benefits of using them from our first episode. Now, let’s talk about why they matter.
In episode 2 of Sleuth TV Live, we covered:
- How to use DORA metrics in day-to-day work
- Do you need to use them if everything is going well?
- Real-world examples of how teams can improve through insights gained from DORA metrics
0:00 Welcome: Exploring what to do with DORA metrics next
3:30 How often do you deploy?
5:04 Story from the trenches: deploying every 3-6 months
7:30 Live look at Sleuth’s deploy frequency
9:30 What are DORA metrics good for?
14: 28 Recap: What are DORA metrics?
17:47 4 ways they can be useful to your team
19:15 Assessment against other teams
25:43 Measure progress on initiatives
29:55 Track impact of unrelated changes
32:06 Track impact of team scale events
38:07 Metrics shouldn’t be the answer
39:36 Are DORA metrics just for bad teams?
40:30 Final thoughts
41:37 We tried to welcome CEO Dylan Etkin!
45:35 Elephant in the room: Defining failure
46:50 Next episode: How to measure failure
Resources mentioned in the show:
- 2021 State of DevOps Report: https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/devops-sre/announcing-dora-2021-accelerate-state-of-devops-report
- Accelerate book
- Sleuth TV Live, Episode 1: DORA Metrics 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch
- Sleuth's live metrics: https://app.sleuth.io/sleuth/sleuth/metrics/lead_time