A beginners guide to performance testing!
You would be surprised at how many companies do not understand the significant benefits performance testing can bring to their organisation by:
- Leaving performance testing to the end of their development effort.
- Do no performance testing at all in a bid to meet artificial timelines.
- Over-engineer it to the point that the results are useless and ignored.
The reason for this is that there is a perception that it is difficult to do, which is of course nonsense.
There are many misconceptions surrounding performance testing, such as:
- Outsourcing is the best and most cost effective approach to performance testing which is not true.
- That keeping the testing in-house requires the skills that only highly paid consultants possess which again is not true.
- It takes a long time to build and execute and will therefore impact on the delivery timescales which is again untrue.
Even if any of this was true a small slippage on delivery should be more than palatable if the end result gives you an application that performs under load.
In this white paper we are going to demonstrate that with a little thought and a bit of common sense any company can execute performance testing regardless of how complex the application under test.